Wednesday, November 18, 2009

So Proud

Nathan is taking his Board Certification examination today in Jackson. This exam is to determine proficieny in a particular field of medicine, and becoming a licensed, board certified physician means meeting the most rigorous training and continued education offered in the field of medicine. He's been studying so hard and I just want to take this opportunity to tell you how proud I am of him and this long educational journey he has completed. I'm not bragging (okay, well maybe a little); I simply want to give credit where credit is due.

Nathan began this path long ago, and I am happy to have been there right along beside him to offer support and encouragement. Nathan's parents definitely deserve the most recognition; if it wasn't for his mom assisting in the completion of his medical school application and his dad paying for it, we may very well be doing something else today. :) But seriously, they have supported not only Nathan, but also our little family of four through all of the decisions we have had to make along the way. And there are SO many decisions to make: Where to go to school, where to go for 3rd & 4th year rotations, which specialty to choose, where to go for internship, where to go for residency, and finally where to go for your first job? I'd like to think we have come full circle. You see, Nathan did a short internship during a summer break from college at GMH. He wasn't sure at that time that he wanted to go to medical school. But after starting medical school in Kansas City, MO, getting married the next summer, spending a year in KC together, moving to Fort Myers, FL, having our first baby, moving to Columbus, GA, then moving to Jackson, MS, having our second baby, Nathan then decided to take a job where it all started... even some of the same docs are still here and remember Nathan from his summer there long ago.

There have been so many tests along the way too. I remember the night before Step I (a 2 day, 8 hr a day test), we were living in an apartment in KC. Nathan wanted to be sure to get a good night sleep so we go to bed early but then wake up to whooshing up above... our upstairs neighbors apparently thought the middle of the night was the best time to wash clothes, vacuum, etc. Nathan finally decides to go knock on their door about 2 am to ask them to be quiet... it's funny now but believe me, it wasn't then.

Anway, I reminisce. We have met so many wonderful people throughout this journey. We now have friends all over the country from this experience, and while moving so often was hard, it was definitely worth it. It is a little strange that we are now at this point in our lives since we've had this end goal of completing residency for so long. I say "we", but I really mean Nathan. Nathan, I truly am honored to be your wife and the mother of your children. You will never know how proud and thankful I am for your commitment to us and to your profession. We are SO PROUD of you and you should be proud of yourself too. Way to go!!


Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

newmanfamily said...

It is a total "we" have completed residency. I know you are so relieved to get to this point. Congratulations! Now you get to wait 6-8 weeks to get the scores, ha!
Lori