I write this post today with a heavy heart. With guilt and shame, but most of all sadness. You see, I just happened to come across a blog post yesterday that informed me of something that I never knew. Something I had questioned once, but never really looked into any further. Some of you may read MckMama's blog My Charming Kids. I honestly have only been to her site maybe 3-4 times, but yesterday I read this post and was very surprised to learn that "the Pill" has abortive effects. That can't be, I immediately thought. No way. Nathan was sitting beside me and he couldn't believe it either. He had even asked one of my OB/Gyns specifically about how the Pill works and we were told that it only inhibited ovulation. But folks, that is simply not true. The Pill works through not only one, but 3 mechanisms:
1. inhibiting ovulation (the primary mechanism)
2. thickening the cervical mucus, thereby making it more difficult for sperm to travel to the egg
3. thinning and shriveling the lining of the uterus to the point that it is unable or less able to facilitate the implantation of the newly fertilized egg
Read these articles that will articulate the facts much better than I can:
http://www.pregnantpause.org/abort/untold.htm
http://www.epm.org/artman2/publish/prolife_birth_control_pill/A_Longer_Condensation_of_Does_The_Birth_Control_Pill_Cause_Abortions.shtml
I know there are several more articles, but one is all it took for me. Please take the time and read them now. They may change your life. It did mine.
Wow... I call myself pro-life but at the same time I have been taking "the Pill". It literally makes me sick. I have shed several tears over this... but unfortunately I can't change the past. I've been trying to do the math. I've been married 7 years- that's about 87 months- subtract 18 months of that time due to pregnancy= been on some form of the pill (even the mini-pill works this way) roughly about 64 months. It breaks my heart to think that I could have unknowingly aborted a child 64 times just from taking the Pill. I do realize that is probably not the case, but in all honesty, no one knows but God just how the Pill has worked in my body each month. Hopefully it only inhibited ovulation all these years, but the fact is there is just no way to know. Immediately, our decision was made; we will no longer use the Pill. No, I do NOT want 18 kids, but there are other ways to prevent pregnancies.
I really want to hear your comments on this. Were you informed that the pill could work like this? Or is it a shocking discovery to you like it was to me? And what about the moral ramifications? Am I held accountable for this even though I didn't know about it? I do realize this is a very controversial topic- write anonymously if you want. I just hope I am not the only one out there who didn't know...
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Ignorance is NOT always bliss
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















4 comments:
Hey Jennifer,
I appreciate the fact that you are so open, willing to share this and open the subject up for discussion. Thanks for the articles. They were extremely informative. Of course, I was never informed of the effects the Pill could have in regards to possibly terminating a pregnancy. I did take them when we were first married for about 2 years but I have not been on them since I had Olivia (4 1/2 years). I stopped taking them due to bad side effects and vowed to never take them again. It affected my thyroid and other hormones. We should all be more educated about our bodies and what we allow to enter them.
Jen
I had no idea!!
I agree with you - if I had known I would never have taken the pill
thanks for the info
Kim
Jennifer,
Read the top paragraph of this - Once I read your blog - I knew I'd seen something about this beforehand and here it is. Although the Duggar's are an extreme case - they share the same sentiment on the b/c pill.
http://www.duggarfamily.com/aboutus.html
-Anna
Well, as you know, this has hit close to home for me in the past month. Your research has come at the perfect time for me, so thank you for sharing! After a pharmacist and a nurse telling me wrong about my birth control (the mini pill) last month (seriously!), it is very possible that I could have gotten pregnant, gotten back on birth control and then miscarried due to being back on the pill. I stopped taking the pill as soon as I found out the truth that I could be pregnant and all these possibilities. I will never know for sure, but being so close to such a possibility has made me sick to my stomach (especially after just reading the article that Anna posted!)...and totally opened my heart to having as many children as God wishes to bless me with (while I hope it's not too many!). This has all helped me start my own praying and research for if and how God wants me to go on with family planning. The sad thing is, is that we did pray about this before, but I think I just selfishly settled on birth control as being the safest route...even though neither of my girls were planned! I cannot stand the thought that I could possibly be aborting a baby. Even if it's the slightest possibility and the last resort in birth control, it's horrible! Thanks for being open and sharing with us!!
Post a Comment